Friday, October 24, 2014

31 Days: Spasmodic Sewing

Today was the usual friday where the hubs works from 8:30am-7:45pm with a little break in between to eat lunch and give me a kiss. I have been overwhelming the table with my sewing machine and the living room with scraps of t-shirts. I have a list of sewing projects to get through. Remember that huge pile of scraps I posted a couple weeks ago? Yes, that pile haunts me. Also, I have some mothering to do. Owen is ready to potty train so I went to Target yesterday, without the children, to buy pull-ups. I brought my computer with me, bought some coffee, and sat down to do some research for other sewing projects and to meander through online potty training advice. I discovered that some moms suggest that potty training is difficult with pull-ups and they suggested reusable training pants, and because I'm weird I googled "make your own potty training underpants". I immediately returned the pull-ups and bought another pack of super hero underwear. I had lots of left over cloth diapers. I took some parchment paper, turned the underwear inside out, and traced the mid-section. It took a little while to make 3 pairs and I had lots of other sewing to get to. I wasn't kidding about that pile of material constantly haunting me.



I like that he still has that diaper butt look. Shh, don't tell him.
Last Saturday, the 18th, I snuck in a visit with my favorite sewing and vacuum shop in the city called Serge A Lot. I had a free cleaning for my machine and a free sewing lesson with Sherri. This place is amazing which is why I purchased my lovely sewing machine here last year. I told Sherri I was struggling with the closing design of my headbands. She and I brainstormed together and tried out a few things. I could sit with Sherri for hours, learn so much, and still need to come back. She is so knowledgable and I'm looking forward to taking some classes from her in the future. Today I sewed a few knot headbands AND created a new braided design. I'm still finalizing the thickness of the braid, thin is good but I also like the thicker look, especially in the sage green. More photos of that later. Here's my baby girl doing some modeling for me. She was busy in playing in the kitchen. She's a fast mover and I definitely surprised her when I stuck this headband on her head. She's wearing a 0-9 month size which is why the backing is fully extended, pretty good for my first headband! My plan is to have 0-6, 6-12, 12-18, 18-24, 3-5 years, and 6-adult. I've found some reliable sizing charts.

What did you put on my head!?
okay, I'll model for you.
                               
elastic tucked into cozy t-shirt material
Here comes the braid design!


Here's my headband and my bff, my baby lock sewing machine. She's a workhorse.


No comments:

Post a Comment