Thursday, October 11, 2012

26 ways to describe my husband




When we are born into this world we're stuck with those who we end up calling family, and the children we have are ours no matter what. Hopefully, you're as lucky as I am and love your family and your children to come. But there is one time in our lives where can we pick a family member (not counting the number of furry friends you can adopt; I think I've tested that one out many times over already). Finding that one person that you want to spend the rest of your life with is one of the most thrilling and mysterious adventures. Looking back on those memories it still looks and feels like a fairy tale. It was very difficult for me not to fall in love with Mark Bjerke and picture having his children. We joke that it was love at second sight because we met in junior high, but dating was (fortunately) not on our radar. The time we spent together five years ago seemed to fly by. Every weekend was filled with fun adventures together, and oh the waiting that we experienced when we looked forward to chatting on the phone after college group or homework was finished. It all seemed to come and go so quickly. One year for my birthday Mark wrapped himself up as a present. He is the best gift that God has given me that I continue to learn more and more about.

Mark isn't the kind of guy that is touched by materialistic things; he'd rather have a silly heartfelt poem from me. This year in honor of his birthday I decided to write out 26 words that remind me of him.


1. Thoughtful - I felt convicted prior to writing this blog because there have been many times where Mark has written me a poem, baked or cooked me something special, made me massage coupons for mother's day... I could go on and on. And then when I think of all the things I've done, I can't count very many. Hopefully this blog will inspire change.

2. Oh so Lovable - I have yet to find someone who does not enjoy his company. Even children and animals are drawn to him. I don't know why he isn't running for mayor this year.

3. Creative - Whether he is in the kitchen, writing a song, creating a picture for Owen's room, building a guitar with his bare hands...

4. Sweet - His sweetness is definitely brought out in his thoughtfulness. One of my favorite gifts that he made me when we were dating is a wooden jewelry box.

5. Manly - Mark used to have a beard almost as long as Abraham Linoln's, he's part of the dollar shave club online (only for manly men), and he has his own set of tools in his very own toolbox. I've been so proud of him for fixing so many of our apartments when the maintenance guy couldn't quite do the job.

6. Musical - I can ask him to play me any song anytime. It's nice to have my own personal jukebox.

7.  Ridiculously Handsome - see the picture above.

8. Organized - All of our important papers and things are in their rightful place because of this man.

9. Dependable - Being a stay-at-home mommy is a new experience for me, but even when I was working, Mark was always the provider.

10. Sincere - I love introducing Mark to co-workers or new friends because he genuinely cares about people, especially the ones I love. I could tell him stories about my day and watch him smile and laugh as I described the cute conversations I had had at the preschool I worked at.

11. Spontaneous - My favorite dates are the ones where Mark will take me to a new place to explore. I love going to different towns with a deck of cards or a book and a blanket. I especially love when we find a "not-so-romantic" place and it ends up becoming a funny story that we laugh about. He is much more spontaneous than I am, and he encourages me to be fun loving.

12. Compassionate - I realize in writing this blog that I am owning up to how selfish I am. I have to be honest, I sometimes will avoid talking to the homeless. This has to do with experiences with my mother's homelessness, but Mark is always kindhearted and will listen to them and give them whatever he can out of his wallet.

13. Generous - He gives his money and his time wholeheartedly. I appreciate all that he does for our family, our friends, and our church community.

14. Hilarious - Nobody can make me laugh as hard as Mark. Well, Owen is a close second.

15. Outgoing - Mark is the opposite of shy. I love that he can be so comfortable with meeting new people.

16. Joyful - Mark works hard for our family and he does it with a smile.

17. Scholarly - He loves to learn. Sometimes this bothers me because I can be a bit lazy and want someone else to do the work for me. But not Mark; he loves the details.

18. Forgiving - This is huge in any relationship but especially in a marriage.

19. Inspiring - There are days where I feel like life is "ho hum" and Mark can snap me out of it. He always reminds me of all the opportunities that are out there and that life is a gift from God that we should cherish.

20. Peaceful - He keeps my irish side at bay.

21. Clean - Our house is immaculate because of him. I clean and I do an okay job, but when Mark sweeps the area it could be in a Martha Stewart magazine.

22. Brilliant - My head hurts sometimes because of all the knowledge he tries to pass along to me.

23. Spiritual - This is huge. I am so grateful that Mark puts so much effort into his quiet times and his relationship with God.

24. Disciplined - He eats so healthily and exercises regularly. This word could also go along with the "Inspiring" description. I am currently trying to live a more disciplined life.

25. Cultured - I can ask him how to say certain things in Spanish or why things are the way they are in another culture and he typically knows the answer.

26. Wise - Proverbs 27:17- "Iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another." On my good days I remember to check in with Mark and see what he thinks about a tough situation. He gives me great advice and reminds me that I can't know what another person is thinking but that I can pay close attention to my own thoughts and actions.


Here are my boys on October 9th. We had such a fun birthday bash for Mark. Owen's little gift to Mark was the "okay" sign. (Not really, but we did capture a really quick awesome moment.)












Owen thinks his daddy is Ok!

1 comment:

  1. WE love Mark...our whole family! The more we get to know him the more blessed we are for YOU. He's one special guy :)

    ReplyDelete