
At the end of March I rented this plot in the neighborhood community garden. It was only 5 dollars for the year. Gardening has been a long time interest of mine, in fact, I used to have a plot here that I started twelve years ago. I signed up for this little square corner of land before I even knew that this time in my life would be a difficult season. I have no regrets. Gardening in this plot has been the most therapeutic experience for me. Pulling weeds and trimming back blackberry bushes that line the fence helped me clear my mind of all the many many concerns and thoughts that were pressing in on me.
There were also lots of rocks. The community garden was actually set against old Air Force property so other gardeners and I would literally toss clay rocks to the other side of the fence. Throwing rocks, cutting down vicious black berry bushes, and pulling some weeds made me feel brand new every time.
 |
| Owen has been an excellent weed puller/eater. |
After pulling weeds I was able to start planting. I fell in love with marigolds very recently. I didn't have much appreciation for them as a younger gardner but have since discovered that they are amazing companion plants. They keep aphids and other pests away and even enhance the growth of tomatoes and basil. I might just write a song about them. (They don't help out peas or broccoli though, but we aren't focusing on the negatives.)
 |
| This box ended up being taken over by nasturtiums. |
 |
| homemade tomato cages |
 |
| I'm getting excited for some caprese salad and bruschetta! |
I have been so blessed by this community garden. Not only have I been given some free starter plants that were grown in our very own greenhouse but I've made some new sweet friends. One of my favorites is an older guy with a mom who is a lot like my own mother. Everyone here is about helping others which is hard to find in the outside world. We even have impromptu garden parties with wine, aged cheddar, iced tea, sweet desserts, and all kinds of wonderful conversations. I'll be very sad to leave this little community of gardeners but I know where to find them when we visit. It is also comforting to know that we'll be living next door to dear friends in Davis AND that I'll have two plots to grow things in, right in our very own backyard.
 |
| I love Morning Glory. This love was inspired by some friends in Davis. |
 |
| I planted sunflowers along the back edge and I love that a vine is climbing one. |
 |
| Can't wait for these sunflowers to grow! |
I have been doing other things than gardening which I hope to write about eventually. I made Owen some t-shirts out of his Dad and Uncle John's old shirts.
We also took a little family trip to the Exploratorium to celebrate Father's Day. It was O's first time on a boat. He loved it!
No comments:
Post a Comment