I've made my peace with her passing. I got a call from her friend Lisa who got my mom's phone from a guy who had picked it up. Lisa always calls me baby girl, and I don't mind. Even though I've only met her once, and fairly recently, she kind of considers herself an aunt of mine. She's sweet and reminds me a lot of my mom in her looks and her personality. They called each other "sissy" when I visited. Since the medical examiner's office and the police report wouldn't really tell us what happened until the autopsy was finalized in 10 weeks, Lisa decided to find my number and tell me how my mom took her own life. She felt responsible since they always looked out for each other. I told her how grateful I was that my mom had a friend like her so close and not to blame herself. I also wanted to make sure that she was taking care of herself since her dear friend was gone. I've checked in with her a couple of times since.
While in the midst of all this I was unsure about what my life would be like. I had waited 20 years for her to be free, and while she was now free it wasn't how I wanted things to end for her and I missed her. I missed the way we would joke and laugh. I always loved how similar we were. We had the same sense of humor, and she loved to remind me of that. I missed being able to call her on the phone and I listened to old messages and read texts that were only a couple weeks old. After finding out how she passed my stomach was in knots. I didn't feel like eating anything. I'd take two bites and be full. I thought it was my body having it's own time of grief. A dear friend told me I should probably take a pregnancy test even though I reassured her that I was definitely not pregnant. I was wrong.
My very first thought was, "seriously God? Right now is a good time to have a baby?" Right after that thought though, I felt a lot of peace. I remember thinking that I could handle whatever comes my way with God's help. Whether it be a joyous thing like new life or the hardest thing like losing my mother. I remember thinking that even if this baby doesn't make it, that God has been right here with me through everything and he is continuing to be there. If you can't tell by this photo, Mark is VERY excited, Owen has no clue.
I'm going to miss my mom every day but I keep thinking how beautiful she must look now, she's finally free from so much. What would it look like to have all the cares of the world lifted off your shoulders? I can't wait to see her again someday. Here's one of my favorite photos of her and my dad in their early days. I love seeing the joy on their faces. I love you mom. You were always the most beautiful woman in the world to me, inside and out. I'll miss you so, but I know you must feel truly radiant now. I hope you're the one who meets me at the gate.
I'm going to miss my mom every day but I keep thinking how beautiful she must look now, she's finally free from so much. What would it look like to have all the cares of the world lifted off your shoulders? I can't wait to see her again someday. Here's one of my favorite photos of her and my dad in their early days. I love seeing the joy on their faces. I love you mom. You were always the most beautiful woman in the world to me, inside and out. I'll miss you so, but I know you must feel truly radiant now. I hope you're the one who meets me at the gate.


You're amazing. Thank you so much for sharing!
ReplyDeleteLove you Jenny!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your transparency, Jenny. Thank you for loving shamelessly. I always say I want to love like a dog loves, shamelessly, holding nothing back. You love that way. It's beautiful.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Elyse