Tuesday, June 26, 2012

40 weeks and laughing

In commemoration of reaching 40 weeks I thought it would be best to write down some of my favorite pregnancy comments. I don't know what it is about babies and weddings but people love to weigh in on these two life changing events. I found it true for our wedding on many occasions. My favorite was when someone insisted that we have a fake plastic cake when they learned that we were having cupcakes so we could keep "tradition alive". Sadly, tradition died at our wedding.
 With having a baby I've received the gamut of special advice. My close friend jokingly claimed that when some people learn that you're carrying a baby they suddenly believe that they are carrying an MD. Dear friends, if any of you are or plan on getting pregnant someday, you don't have to respond to any comments. I didn't and don't mind them but found that the best "pregnancy advice" I can give is to keep a sense of humor.

Here are my favorite quotes and responses that I said (or wish I said) in bold:


"Are you sure you're having a boy? Usually it means you're having a girl if you carry like that."
"Trust me, I have the pictures to prove it."

"You're definitely having a boy! I can tell by the way you're carrying him!"
"Oh Ya? well thanks, and I have pictures to prove it."

my favorite at 40 weeks "Are you sure you're close? I mean he hasn't dropped, you probably have at least 3 more weeks"
"I'll just drop him after he comes out."

"you look too comfortable, you probably have a really long way to go."
"Well thanks! I was just wondering when things would get painful."

"Get the drugs as soon as you can!"
"Can't I just bring my own?"

"you're crazy if you want a home birth next time" 
"I don't want just any home birth, I'm having the next baby in a tub of champagne!"

"You cannot eat that bagel with salmon schmear, it could contain mercury."
No response, simply eat the bagel slowly and stare into their eyes. 

"Go have a drink, you've made it to 40 weeks!"
I'm still not sure how to respond to this one

"What's your birth plan?"
"to push him out"
or you can really scare them and say
"Twilight sleep"





I have to be fair, most of these comments are from well meaning individuals and are not frustrating just humorous. I am so grateful for my many close friends that I have received loving advice from, even advice on how to deal with the many many interesting comments.




5 comments:

  1. Lovely responses, keep up the good work, humor, and lively-hood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Jen...I especially like the idea of a tub of champagne! hic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are smart to keep your sense of humor, and I hate to say it, but you'll probably get more unwanted advice once the little one is in your arms and not in your tummy. Maintain that attitude and you will do great! (Is that unwanted advice? LOL)
    -Sarah Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite was: "Are you sure there is only one in there? You're awfully big for how far along you are." My response: "Yeah well you're awfully big for not being pregnant at all."

    ReplyDelete