I was feeling a little sorry for myself on Friday night. I took a walk downtown with Owen and saw other mommies with their mommy friends and I saw some college girls with their friends and I thought to myself, "where are my close friends?". I have been very blessed to know some wonderful friends who do not have babies and to have some friends whose kids are a bit older than Owen, but Friday night specifically I was wishing I had a friend closer in age as well as location that I could talk to and be close with, and perhaps share some mommy talks with. I know I actually do have a couple friends like this here in Davis but I think my heart was missing the Benzigers.
The Benzigers are a wonderful family who we had the pleasure of getting to know back when we lived in our first apartment complex as a married couple. It was one of those things where we both helped out with different college fellowships and we had met briefly and thought that perhaps we would hang out sometime but neither of us followed through. This was probably because we were afraid that we might not get along so well. The day we finally hung out we were practically kicking ourselves for not hanging out sooner. We instantly clicked with these two. Right before we hung out we were having some neighbor issues below us. (We happily wrote this song about it.) I wonder if God gave us that neighbor below just so we would be relocated right next door to Amy and Tyler. Our apartment manager tried to set up a meeting with the guy below but he didn't want to meet so she moved us. Since we were neighbors with the Benzigers we thought that we just had to be brave and meet them. Once we did there were many nights where we just would go next door and play nerts until late into the night. It didn't matter if we watched a movie our went out for late night snacks. It was so fun then to have friends who were married around the same time and were about the same age as us. Sometimes Amy and I would be home without the husbands so we would visit each other and talk about things that were on our hearts. Talking and visiting with her is always so refreshing and meaningful. Sometimes we'd even watch the Ellen Degeneres show. I specifically remember watching the Mother's Day Giveaway episode and we both talked about getting on there someday when we were pregnant. We sadly never achieved that goal, but we both were pregnant around the same time. We were surprised to find we were pregnant so fast. Mark and I miscarried our first baby but I remember thinking that I was glad it happend to us and not the two other couples (including the Benizgers), that we were close to who were expecting. I remember being worried about something happening to one of us before I even knew about the miscarriage and I prayed and prayed for their babies safety. I'm so glad that little Brody is here with us. Before he was born I got to take photos of the beautiful couple and her growing belly. Tyler had just graduated and they were starting out on a new chapter. Aren't they so stinkin cute? Wait until you see their kid.
I also took this photo of Mark. I don't know why but it makes me laugh so hard every time I see it. We have such a zany sense of humor sometimes. This was actually a picture I took while I was already cracking up so the magic of the unfocusedness gets me every time.
![]() |
















No comments:
Post a Comment