Friday, July 15, 2011

Sensitivity

People tell me you get pretty sensitive when you're pregnant. I was out with one of my closest friends, Lacy, shopping for her cousins baby. One of my favorite stores in Davis has the cutest store owner. She asked me if I was pregnant and I said yes but "we're keeping it a secret" (Not that she would tell anyone, we don't know any of the same people). To which she said, "don't worry you're not even showing yet." I was irked. Thinking thoughts like "what does she mean I'm not showing yet?!, she's practically saying I'm not pregnant!" After leaving the store and walking several blocks with Lacy I told to her how I felt in that store. She laughed at me, like any good friend would do, and helped me rationalize myself out of my irrationality. Slowly the fog lifted and I realized how silly that was. It's tough being a woman sometimes but it is good that I have a friend who keeps me accountable to reality. :)
We watched a childhood favorite of mine the other night, The Brave Little Toaster. I highly recommend watching it since it was made in the late 1980's and is to me a classic cartoon of that era. However, I don't recommend watching it when you're pregnant. It's weird, I'm not gonna lie. This movie showed me how the hormones are working to dominate my emotions and tear ducts. There were so many moments where I legitimately struggled to hold back the tears (spoiler alert),
For example when Blanky thinks the master is coming home and is mistaken, and when the air conditioner blows himself up because the master never changed his settings(loved him like the others).
Another scene happens where toaster finds a flower who just wants to be loved and have a friend but toaster says she is in fact a toaster and not a flower. She flees the flower who immediately starts to wilt and die.

 I better stay away from kid's movies for awhile. I'm just glad I didn't watch the Lion King.

1 comment:

  1. That IS a weird movie. I couldn't handle it when I was a kid, and everyone still gives me a hard time about it :) I don't think I would handle it any better now either!

    ReplyDelete